In With the New: Where to Find Inspiration for Winter Decorating
by Charlotte Siems
Christmas decorations have been taken down and stowed away in the attic, but that has left some bare spots in the decor. This week I’ll be looking for some new inspiration to give those spaces some warmth and character for the rest of the winter season.
Here are some of my favorite ways to get ideas:
- Look through a collection of decorating books and study photos for winter ideas
- Page through some decorating magazines
- Pinterest (with a timer so you won’t get “lost!”)
- Websites like Better Homes and Gardens
- The great outdoors (look for branches and dried grasses)
- “Use what you have” decorating—use things from other rooms in a new way
- Stores like Hobby Lobby or Kirklands—study displays with an eye to copy and adapt
For all of these sources of ideas, stay aware of when you are drawn to a scene or item. Try to figure out what appeals to you: is it the color, texture or theme? Then adapt with items you have or use the idea as a guide when you shop. Clearance aisles (even Christmas clearance!) and thrift stores can yield some beautiful treasures for decorating!
Have some fun with a new season of decorating. Out with the old and in with the new!
Do you have some ideas for inspiration? Leave a comment below!