Homeschooling with Sticky Notes
Let’s talk sticky notes, one of the joys of visiting an office supply store. These removable wonders come in all shapes and sizes—stars, circles, squares and more.
And the colors! We’re no longer limited to pastels (although I actually prefer pastels or light neon colors for most notes). I love the selection but be aware that dark colors may require a permanent marker for the writing to show up well.
And speaking of colors, you can assign a different color to each child or type of task.
Here are some ideas for using sticky notes in your homeschool:
- Stick a note on a textbook with the details of an assignment for the day or the week.
- Line up sticky notes on the edge of a countertop or cabinet, with chores, school assignments or other information.
- Scribble a short task list (or grocery list) on a note.
- Keep them next to the computer to write quick notes, codes, links, etc.
- Stick them on a marker board to cover an answer for a game show quiz.
- Stick them on a marker board to cover points during a lecture, remove as you come to the point (sort of low-tech Power Point!).
- Use them as temporary flash cards.
- Write a “secret mission” on a sticky note and have your child carry it with them all day (this works well for phonics, new words and math facts).
- In rows, write math answers on a sheet of paper, then write the matching math problems on a sticky note. Have your child say the answer then peek to see if they got it right.
- Or write math facts on a sheet of paper (spaced in rows) and the ones your child knows, cover with a note. Study the uncovered facts, then cover some more!
I’m sure you can come up with some other ways to use sticky notes in your homeschool or otherwise. Share them below….
I love these ideas, especially all the chores and things in a row to be completed then removed. Great visual encouragement! One of the ways that I use sticky notes has nothing to to with school, but it makes a happy home – I try to find unique stickies that are exclusively for notes to my husband. Sometimes I just leave him a word of encouragement by his computer or on the fridge. When he sees the special paper, he knows immediately it’s from me. I also make sure to leave notes in places that only he will see, with “his eyes only” messages. I like making him feel set apart from the kids and household, but I also like that I have a quick little way to remind him of me.
One more reason I knew I loved you. 😉
Ha! I think we’re both all about survival with hair (and smile) intact!
Great ideas! I’m always looking for a good excuse to head to the office supply store.
Ha! Me, too! I love pretty office supplies!!
Sticky notes are so handy! I like to use them as bookmarks. Then if you read something inspiring or thought provoking you can just jot notes right on your sticky bookmark. I also mark some of my favourite quotes or scenes in books with stickies. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
Great ideas, Alice!! Hadn’t thought of that!